Atkins lead designer for $1.5 billion Nevada urban freeway project
Atkins is to play a key role in the development of a freeway that will help transform the city of Las Vegas.
As design lead on the team led by Kiewit Infrastructure West, Atkins will manage all design and engineering services for Nevada Department of Transportation’s (NDOT) Project NEON,— a freeway project that will boost safety, mobility, and accessibility in Las Vegas.
Project NEON is the most significant win for Atkins in North America and will involve the development of a 3.7 mile corridor through the heart of Las Vegas, an area currently seeing 300,000 vehicle movements every day.
Joe Boyer, CEO, Atkins, North America, said: “Atkins is tremendously proud to be the lead design firm for this critical project, which has been deemed NDOT’s most important and ambitious in its history.”
“Project NEON is essential to the progression of Las Vegas’ transportation demands and quality of life, given traffic is expected to double for this corridor in the next 20 years.”
The construction project will be phased over three years starting in 2016 and connect high occupancy vehicle lanes on US 95 to I-15 express lanes with a flyover bridge, creating direct access carpool lanes and a new “Neon Gateway” interchange.
“Project NEON addresses a multitude of corridor deficiencies related to congestion, crash rates, operations, and system linkages,” said NDOT Director Rudy Malfabon. “It will dramatically improve traffic congestion in Southern Nevada, while also creating 4,000 high-paying, quality jobs.”
Atkins has designed many of Nevada’s largest and most challenging roadway projects for NDOT including:
- I-80 Design-Build, Robb Drive to Vista Boulevard—10 miles of freeway reconstruction.
- I-15 Widening, I-215 to California State Line Design—35 miles of freeway widening.
- US 95/Summerlin Parkway Interchange Design—system-to-system interchange, combined with freeway widening.
- US 95/Summerlin Parkway HOV Flyover Design—HOV flyover between US 95 and Summerlin Parkway.
- Carson City Freeway Phase 1 Design—5 miles of new freeway.